As laser resurfacing treatments such as Fraxel® grow in popularity at my Orlando-area practice, more men and women are discovering just how powerful and versatile laser skin treatments can be. With such a wide array of helpful treatments available, it’s understandable that many people may not know where to begin.
In this blog post, I’ll provide an overview of which treatments work best for a few common skin concerns to give you an idea of options to ask about at your personal consultation.
What is the best laser treatment for sun damage?
Treating sun damage involves triggering the body’s natural healing process and restoring collagen to create a more even, healthy texture. The best treatments for this include:
- CO2 laser skin resurfacing: A form of CO2 laser skin resurfacing called DOT (dermal optical thermolysis) therapy uses a fractional CO2 laser to create microscopic punctures in your skin. This stimulates your skin’s natural wound healing response, which includes collagen rebuilding.
- Fraxel: Fraxel works in a similar way, using a fractional laser to create tiny wounds in the skin and incite collagen remodeling.
- Cynosure Icon®: This system’s light-based IPL (intense pulsed light) treatment is great for reducing sun damage.
What is the best laser treatment for brown spots?
Discoloration and uneven pigmentation are caused by excess melanin. Laser treatments that can help even this coloration and reduce spots include:
- CO2 laser skin resurfacing: By stimulating the regeneration of your skin, laser skin resurfacing reduces pigmentation in targeted areas and creates a more evenly colored surface.
- Cynosure Icon: IPL treatments with the Icon system gently break down melanin in the skin, evening out brown spots, dark patches, freckles, and more.
What is the best laser treatment for fine lines and wrinkles?
A lack of collagen and elastin often cause these signs of aging. Treatments that can spur additional collagen production for a more youthful look include:
- CO2 laser skin resurfacing: People often report how much tighter their skin feels after a single treatment.
- Fraxel: This precise laser helps treat lines and wrinkles in delicate areas, such as the eyes (crow’s feet) and mouth (lip lines).
What is the best laser treatment for redness and rosacea?
Broken blood vessels, persistent redness, flushing, and port wine stains can all be reduced with laser treatments, particularly:
- Cynosure Icon: IPL’s pulses of light safely destroy blood vessels near the skin’s surface, leaving behind reduced redness. A 2017 IPL study found that the treatment was effective for those with more severe cases of erythematotelangiectatic rosacea—the type of rosacea that results in flushing, redness, and noticeable blood vessels.
- Candela™ pulsed dye laser: This laser delivers a concentrated beam of light, which is converted into heat. The heat destroys targeted blood vessels without harming the surrounding skin.
What is the best laser treatment for acne scars and uneven skin texture?
Like sun damage, these concerns also come down to insufficient collagen production. Great solutions include:
- CO2 laser skin resurfacing: Boosting collagen production creates a smoother, firmer, and more even skin texture. This also helps your skin heal itself, further minimizing acne scars.
- Fraxel: Acne scars, chickenpox scars, and other texture concerns can be effectively addressed with a series of Fraxel treatments.
You can read more about these and other effective acne scar treatments in a related blog post.
As you may have noticed, there is some overlap when it comes to laser treatments. Consulting personally with a professional will give you invaluable insight into which one will be the most effective and rewarding for you.
If you would like to learn more about Fraxel or other laser skin treatments at our Orlando-area facial plastic surgery practice and med spa, please contact us online or call (407) 333-3040.