Who knew that some of your daily chores and favorite activities could give you wrinkles? Laying by the pool, walking the dog, and mowing the lawn all unfortunately can contribute to facial aging. Why? Sun exposure is often the primary cause of wrinkles, pigmentation, sun spots, reduced skin elasticity, and more. Fortunately, at our plastic surgery center here in Orlando, we provide several different treatments to combat these issues.
Why is sun exposure so harmful?
When UV rays reach your skin, they interact with the melanin in your skin. Melanin is what protects your skin against sun damage. When the amount of UV rays you are exposed to exceeds the limit of melanin protection, you get a sunburn. Repeated overexposure to the UV rays is what leads to different signs of facial aging.
Sun exposure not only can damage your appearance, but also put you at risk for different types of skin cancer. It is important to note that on overcast days you’re still being exposed to UV rays, so make sure to wear sunscreen every day. Wearing sunscreen and covering up with hats and sunglasses is the best way maintain youthful and healthy skin. Prevention is key!
How can you reverse the effects of the sun?
The best nonsurgical rejuvenating treatments include:
- Chemical peels involve applying a chemical solution to your skin that causes it to blister and peel off. This process triggers regrowth of new, healthy skin. Chemical peels here at Primera are highly individualized to fit your needs. They are designed to treat blemishes, wrinkles, uneven pigmentation, sun damage, and pre-cancerous conditions.
- The Cynosure Icon® system can effectively treat discoloration, sun damage, and rosacea. The device delivers low-intensity light energy directly to the skin, so patients experience only minimal discomfort.
- Dermal Optical Thermolysis, or DOT therapy, is ideal for patients who have sun damage, brown sports, fine lines, wrinkles, skin laxity, or acne scars. Using a fractional laser, we create thousands of micro-injuries that stimulate immediate skin tightening and gradual collagen growth.
- Ultherapy® is cleared by the FDA to improve the appearance of the brow, chin, neck, and décolletage by tightening and smoothing the skin. During your treatment, we use a special handpiece that delivers ultrasound energy, which activates the skin’s natural regenerative process.
- Fraxel® Laser treatments are suited for many skin types and several different skin concerns, including sun damage, crow’s feet, acne, chicken pox scars, melasma, sun spots, stretch marks, and lip lines. With Fraxel, we can control variables like the laser’s energy level, treatment level, and number of passes for each patient. In this way, we can create a treatment plan that addresses your specific concerns.
Check out our photo gallery to see real patient results from these treatments. To learn more about which of these treatments is best for treating your skin concerns, request a consultation online or give us a call at (407) 333-3040.